Breast Lift Atlanta
Undergoing a breast lift in Atlanta can restore youthful-looking shape and definition to your breasts. Like other parts of your body, aging and gravity can take a toll on your breasts. Over time, your breasts may begin to sag and droop. This can make the breasts appear smaller. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can also cause this effect, so even younger women may be bothered by sagging breasts. Atlanta breast lift can help patients achieve firmer, shapelier breasts.*
WHAT IS THE ANATOMY OF THE BREAST?
Breasts are composed of three kinds of tissue, including fat, glands, and connective tissue. There are no supportive muscles in the actual breast itself, but it is connected to two muscles that lie underneath the breasts by Cooper’s ligaments. Also known as nature’s bra, the Cooper’s ligaments and the skin itself are the only support for the breasts. With time, gravity pulls the breasts downward. This causes the skin and ligaments to stretch out, and the breasts begin to droop.
Breast sagging is a natural process that happens to almost every woman at some point in her life. There is no set timeline for when sagging occurs because there are many factors that can lead to a loss of breast height, shape, and volume. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and weight loss can affect breast size and positioning. Women with overly large breasts may experience more prominent sagging than those with smaller breasts.
WHY UNDERGO BREAST LIFT SURGERY IN ATLANTA?*
The medical term for breast sagging is breast ptosis. Breast lift surgery helps with sagging that is caused by:
- Genetics: Breast ptosis depends on the elasticity of your skin and ligaments, which is determined by your genes.
- Breast Size: Larger breasts sag more easily since gravity is pulling them down.
- Exercise: When breasts bounce during active sports, the ligaments can be stretched or even torn without the proper support.
- Time: The skin and ligaments that support the breasts become less elastic over time.
- Weight Loss: When you lose weight, some fat tissue is lost in the breast. The skin and ligaments inside the breasts typically do not retract accordingly. This can result in empty-looking and sagging breasts.
- Natural Aging Process: With age, we do not produce as much collagen and elastin; As a result, the skin and breast ligaments become less elastic.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy can change the size of the breasts and composition of the breast tissue. This change can cause weakening of the breast ligaments and skin elasticity.
- Breastfeeding: In some cases, breasts lose firmness and substance after breastfeeding. The nipples may also point down or to the side.
- Menopause: Changing hormones signal that the breasts no longer needs its milk ducts and lobes. This change can cause the breasts to shrink and lose volume.
- Breast Involution: Breasts can droop at any age, but the most notable sagging occurs with the process called breast involution. This is a process where the milk-making system inside the breast shrinks because it is not needed anymore. This can happen during menopause, after pregnancy, or when a woman weans her newborn. After weaning, a woman’s body usually deposits fat back to the breast. These fat deposits in the breasts will regain volume, but the sagging will remain. Many women find themselves with sagging breasts after childbirth, weaning, or menopause.
When the tissue inside the breast shrinks and the surrounding skin does not, the breast may appear less full. Although some women choose to live with the way their breasts look, many are bothered by the sagging because they feel their breasts look less youthful.
* Patients Individual Results May Vary.
BEFORE & AFTER GALLERY
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR ATLANTA BREAST LIFT SURGERY?
Dr. Killingsworth offers breast lift surgery in Atlanta to raise and reshape sagging breasts. Breast lift surgery trims excess skin before tightening the supporting tissue; this can achieve uplifted, youthful breast contours. Dr. Killingsworth can also resize and reposition the nipples to further improve the appearance of your breasts. Since a breast lift does not change the shape or fullness of the breasts, many patients choose to combine this procedure with breast augmentation to increase the size of their breasts.*
When considering breast lift surgery, your initial consultation is essential. This meeting will help Dr. Killingsworth create the best approach for your breast lift procedure. He will discuss your treatment goals and examine your breasts to determine if you are a candidate for a breast lift. He will also review your medical history and explain all pre and post-surgery instructions with you.
HOW IS BREAST LIFT SURGERY IN ATLANTA PERFORMED?
A breast lift can take from one to three hours to complete. Breast lift surgery is typically performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia.* There are several different types of breast lifts. Factors like the extent of breast sagging, the looseness of your skin, and breast volume are taken into account before choosing a specific breast lift technique.
WHAT ARE MY BREAST LIFT OPTIONS?*
Breast lifts are usually categorized by the type of incisions. Some breast lift techniques include:
- Periareolar Breast Lift: Also known as a crescent lift, this breast lift technique involves an incision around the upper part of the areola. Your breast lift surgeon will remove a small amount of skin and reposition the nipple slightly higher. This breast lift procedure is the least invasive technique but is not designed to achieve as dramatic of results.
- Circumareolar Breast Lift: Often referred to as a donut lift, the circumareolar technique uses an incision made around the entire areola. A small area of skin is removed around the nipple, and then the edges are drawn in toward the areola to lift the breast. The areola can be completely resized and reshaped with this method. The circumareolar breast lift allows your breast surgeon to also place a breast implant during your mastopexy procedure.
- Vertical Breast Lift: Also known as a lollipop breast lift, the vertical technique incorporates the circumareolar method and adds a vertical incision on the underside of the breast down to the breast crease. Your breast lift surgeon will remove unwanted skin, reducing drooping and sagging. The nipple and areola can also be repositioned upward for youthful-looking results.
- Traditional Breast Lift: The traditional method is often referred to as an anchor breast lift or inverted-T breast lift. This technique combines the lollipop incision with a crescent incision along the breast crease. The traditional breast lift is the most invasive method and can remove a large amount of loose skin. Traditional mastopexy can be combined with breast reduction surgery or breast augmentation.
After the incisions are made, Dr. Killingsworth will remove breast tissue and reshape the remaining skin to achieve the desired breast contours. The nipple and areola may be moved higher on the breasts or resized. When the breast lift is complete, the incisions will be sutured. Some patients are concerned about losing sensation in their nipples following a breast lift; however, this is not always a typical outcome because the nipple and areola remain connected to the underlying breast tissue, nerve, and blood supply, allowing sensitivity to remain intact. Temporary loss of sensation may occur after your breast lift surgery, but this normally resolves after several months.*
Following your breast lift in Atlanta, you will recover for one to two hours before you are released to a family member or friend to take you home. You will likely experience bruising, swelling, and soreness for a few days, When necessary, any discomfort can be controlled with medication. Your breasts will be wrapped in an elastic bandage or a surgical bra that you will be required to wear for one week to reduce swelling, and after that, you will be fitted for a support bra that you must wear continuously for at least one month. Dr. Killingsworth will advise you to avoid any heavy lifting, as this can cause increased pressure on the breasts. Most patients are able to return to work within a week, but exercise and other strenuous activity should be avoided for approximately one month depending on your healing capabilities.*
Following breast lift surgery, patients can expect their breasts to be firmer to the touch and sit higher on the chest, giving them a perkier appearance. At Killingsworth Center for Plastic Surgery, our patients love their shapelier breasts following breast lift surgery, and many report a renewed sense of confidence and sensuality.*
HOW MUCH DOES BREAST LIFT SURGERY IN ATLANTA COST?
Mastopexy is an individualized surgery that is planned according to the specific needs of each woman, so the cost varies from patient to patient. We will know the cost of your breast lift surgery after your consultation appointment. We accept payment by cash, personal check, credit card, CareCredit®, and Alphaeon® Credit financing.
HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH BREAST LIFT SURGERY IN ATLANTA?
Dr. Christopher Killingsworth and his staff of plastic surgery professionals would be happy to help you set up a personal consultation to discuss breast lift surgery in more detail. Contact our Atlanta office at 678.208.6008, our Cumming, GA office at 678.400.0302, or request an appointment online today.