Breast Reduction Atlanta
Breast reduction surgery can reduce the appearance of overly-large breasts to restore natural-looking symmetry and shape.* While many women seek plastic surgery to improve breast size, patients who have larger breasts may feel just as uncomfortable and self-conscious as those with smaller breasts. Dr. Christopher Killingsworth, a double board-certified plastic surgeon, specializes in breast reduction for patients in Atlanta and the surrounding areas.
WHAT IS BREAST REDUCTION SURGERY?
Of all the procedures that plastic surgeons perform, breast reduction ranks among the highest in patient satisfaction. Women with large, heavy breasts not only suffer physical pain from the weight of their breasts, but they also experience social discomfort. Breasts that are too large are a strain on a woman’s body, causing back, neck, and shoulder pain; this can be harmful to posture (leading to spinal problems), and can contribute to breathing complications or other serious health issues. Breast reduction surgery can greatly benefit a woman’s life by not only giving her relief from her symptoms, but also allowing her to exercise more and wear clothing that is more comfortable. In essence, breast reduction surgery can help patients regain a positive self-image, as well as provide the motivation to participate in a wide range of physical and social activities.*
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BREAST REDUCTION?*
Breast reduction surgery can help women with overly-large breasts by:
- Improving body proportions
- Reducing shoulder and neck pain caused by bra straps
- Increasing the variety of properly-fitting clothing
- Making exercise more comfortable
* Patients Individual Results May Vary.
BEFORE & AFTER GALLERY
AM I A CANDIDATE FOR BREAST REDUCTION?
During your breast reduction consultation, Dr. Killingsworth will ask you what breast size you would ideally like to be, and then he will make a determination of how to best achieve that goal. Dr. Killingsworth will explain the different options for breast reduction and will discuss your medical history, as well as any medications you currently take that might affect the outcome of your surgery. It is important that you are open and honest with your answers, and Dr. Killingsworth will make sure that you are aware of every aspect of the breast reduction procedure. He will inform you about the risks and possible complications of breast reduction surgery and the long-term effects of undergoing this procedure. By being so thorough, Dr. Killingsworth can evaluate which procedure is right for you and propose a plan that will meet or exceed your expectations.*
HOW IS BREAST REDUCTION PERFORMED?
There are several techniques available for breast reduction surgery. Breast reduction typically takes two to four hours to perform on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia (depending on your circumstances). Patients usually return home the same day.*
The size and shape of your breasts, as well as the desired amount of reduction, will determine which technique is right for you.
WHAT ARE MY BREAST REDUCTION OPTIONS?*
- Traditional Breast Reduction Surgery: The traditional breast reduction technique involves either an anchor pattern reduction or Wise pattern reduction. During your surgery, Dr. Killingsworth will make the incision horizontally beneath the breast in the crease before extending the incision vertically up to the nipple. The incision is then extended around the nipple, which creates an anchor pattern. Dr. Killingsworth will remove skin, fat, and tissue from the lower breast area to reduce the mass of the breast and, in most cases, the nipple will be moved to a higher position (although it remains attached to the nerves and blood vessels). For extremely large breasts, however, the nipples may need to be moved and grafted to a completely new location; in this situation, the patient will lose sensation in the nipple and areola. After the nipple is moved to its new position, the skin above the nipple is brought down and around the swell of the breast and stitched back to close the original incision. Patients with extremely large breasts may benefit most from the traditional method of breast reduction, as Dr. Killingsworth can remove more excess skin and tissue than with other techniques. This also makes traditional breast reduction the most invasive method, as it entails more scarring. However, these scars usually fade, and they can often be hidden under clothing.*
- Vertical Incision Breast Reduction Surgery: The vertical incision technique is sometimes referred to as a short scar breast reduction. During this method, Dr. Killingsworth will make a lollipop-shaped incision around the areola and extend the incision vertically down the breast. He will remove excess skin and tissue, and then fold the excess skin over itself to stitch the incisions. The vertical breast reduction method allows for slight repositioning of the nipple. Patients with moderately-large breasts may benefit from vertical breast reduction. Unlike the traditional technique, the short scar method does not involve a horizontal incision across the breast crease, resulting in less scarring and downtime. However, the vertical method removes less breast tissue than the traditional technique.
- Scarless Breast Reduction Surgery: Scarless breast reduction uses liposuction to reduce overly-large breasts without invasive incisions. During your procedure, Dr. Killingsworth will make a tiny incision in the breast crease and insert a cannula beneath the skin. This cannula will remove excess breast fat through liposuction. Patients with more fatty tissue than glandular tissue may be ideal candidates for scarless breast reduction. You can expect less downtime and recovery with this technique. However, the scarless method does not address excess or sagging breast skin, nor does it reposition the nipple. If you have extremely large breasts, then you may benefit from another type of breast reduction surgery.
Following your reduction mammoplasty surgery, your breasts will be sore, swollen, and bruised. You can expect to wear bandages for a few days after surgery for extra support, and a special soft surgical bra (or athletic bra) will be recommended once the dressings are removed. Activity should be kept to a minimum for one to two weeks, and you should avoid heavy lifting and refrain from exercise and other strenuous activities for at least four weeks following your procedure. Most women will be able to return to work and other normal activities approximately two weeks after undergoing breast reduction surgery. To ensure that your breasts are healing properly, it is imperative that you attend follow-up appointments at Killingsworth Center for Plastic Surgery for several months after your procedure.*
Patients who undergo breast reduction surgery are frequently seeking relief from physical symptoms caused by the excessive weight of large breasts. This procedure can solve these problems, as well as improve the size and shape of your breasts. Breast reduction results are typically long-lasting – although gravity and the effects of aging will eventually alter the size and shape of virtually every woman’s breasts. Many women who become dissatisfied with the appearance of their breasts over time choose to undergo a breast lift procedure to restore a more youthful contour.*
Reduction mammoplasty often makes a dramatic change in your appearance and, for this reason, it may take some time to adjust to your new body image. Most women are very pleased with the results of breast reduction surgery; this is why the level of patient satisfaction resulting from breast reduction is among the highest of any plastic surgery procedure.*
HOW MUCH DOES BREAST REDUCTION IN ATLANTA COST?
Breast reduction surgery costs are based on several factors, and we provide a complete cost of the procedure after your initial meeting with Dr. Killingsworth. The cost is based on your individual cosmetic goals and surgical plan. We accept payment by cash, personal checks, and credit card. Financing is available through CareCredit® and Alphaeon® Credit should you need convenient, affordable payments for your reduction mammoplasty surgery.
HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH BREAST REDUCTION IN ATLANTA?
Dr. Christopher Killingsworth and his staff of plastic surgery professionals would be happy to help you set up a personal consultation to discuss breast reduction surgery in more detail. Contact our Atlanta office at 678.208.6008, our Cumming, GA office at 678.400.0302, or request an appointment online today.